Find expert care for illnesses caused by bacteria, viruses, or fungi at a Nash UNC Health Care hospital or clinic.
Conditions We Treat
Visit us for skilled care of conditions such as:
- Diverticulitis (infection in the intestines)
- Endocarditis (heart infection)
- Gynecologic infections
- Hepatitis C
- Meningitis (brain and spine infection)
- Osteomyelitis (bone infection)
- Pulmonary (lung) infections
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Skin infections
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs), especially those that spread to the kidneys or blood
First Visit & Evaluation
When you first see a Nash UNC infectious disease specialist, the doctor will ask many questions to diagnose your condition. Your physician also wants to figure out how you may have been exposed to the disease. Expect to discuss topics such as your:
- Symptoms and health history
- Living environment, including any pets
- Social and recreational activities
The doctor also will do a full physical exam and review your medical records. You may get an order for lab tests to check for signs of infection in a certain part of your body.
Personal Care Plan
If you receive a diagnosis of an infectious illness, the doctor may recommend a specific antibiotic or another treatment and explain how and when you should receive it. The specialist will work closely with other doctors caring for you to make sure you get all the health services you need.
Count on your physician or a caring nurse to follow up regularly in person or by phone once you have a treatment plan for any infectious disease. If you first saw the doctor during a hospital stay, we’ll try to schedule an appointment in our outpatient clinic within two weeks after you go home. See your doctor regularly to check on your health, manage your medications, and address any side effects.
Tell your doctor if you need help paying for treatment. You may qualify for financial assistance.